Today, updated anti-malware are more effective against such attacks. One of the anti-malware program that I often use is MalwareBytes.
I find MalwareBytes to be effective and very light on the resources, I was even able to use it on units with only 128 MB of memory running on Windows XP with no problem at all. Updates are also frequent so you can protect your units against the latest threat before it hits you.
Here are the key features of the program
- Support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Light speed quick scanning.
- Ability to perform full scans for all drives.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware protection module. (requires registration)
- Database updates released daily.
- Quarantine to hold threats and restore them at your convenience.
- Ignore list for both the scanner and Protection Module.
- Settings to enhance your Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware performance.
- A small list of extra utilities to help remove malware manually.
- Multi-lingual support.
- Works together with other anti-malware utilities.
- Command line support for quick scanning.
- Context menu integration to scan files on demand.
This is a good software to pair with a good anti-virus with online protection.
To download MalwareBytes click here.